- This event has passed.
Chapter Workshop, Business Meeting and Networking Social – “Arbitration: Expanding Your Appraisal Practice”
November 18, 2021 @ 2:00 pm
A 3-hour virtual chapter-developed workshop prior to our November Chapter Meeting and Networking Social.
Most appraisers are familiar with the concept of arbitration. It’s an alternative to litigation for parties with a dispute to resolve the matter by agreeing that an arbitrator or panel of arbitrators will make the determination. Arbitration work for appraisers – either as an arbitrator or as an expert witness – is growing and can present interesting assignments.
Our presenters will offer a survey of the most common arbitration assignments involving appraisers. They will then shed light on some of the common issues and problems that appraisers may face – or cause – in arbitration. Their examples will be based on real-world arbitration cases; several of which will show that all appraisers interested in arbitration work – regardless of their experience – should be familiar with the processes, rules and standards that apply to appraisers serving as arbitrators or working as experts in arbitration.
- Introduction to Arbitration: What is Arbitration?
- General Arbitration Rules and Key Provisions in California Arbitration Act
- Potential Roles of Appraisers in Arbitration: Arbitration for Both Commercial and Residential Appraisers
- Common Types of Arbitration Handled by Appraisers
- Arbitration Details: Serving as an Arbitrator
- Three of the Most Common Mistakes by Appraisers Serving as Arbitrators
- How to Get Started
Paula K. Konikoff, JD, MAI, AI-GRS – Sole Practitioner in Arbitration and Litigation
Peter Christensen, Attorney, Christensen Law Firm
Following the 2-hour workshop (3-5pm Pacific Time) we will hold a brief virtual chapter meeting beginning at 5pm to catch up on Local, Regional and National issues and provide an opportunity for attendees to network with peers, colleagues, and perhaps even potential clients!
A Special Note About Registering:
- Never attended an Appraisal Institute offering or not yet updated your password / log-in since October 1, 2019 – follow these simple steps before registering.
- Those seeking credit from states outside of California are strongly encouraged to check directly with their state licensing board(s) to confirm that the specific state(s) will (1) accept virtual / classroom education, (2) accepts education from an out-of-state provider and/or (3) offers reciprocal credit if the offering is approved by the CA BREA. Some states may require pre-approval applications or have reporting requirements that the chapter cannot comply with.
- This virtual program is approved for 3-hours (15 points) of Appraisal Institute CEC. Applications for 3-hours of BREA and State Board of Equalization (SBE) CEC are being submitted.
- Instruction will be held via Interactive Technology (ZOOM) and is based on the “live” classroom version that falls under the temporary exemption for virtual / classroom education due to COVID / SIP restrictions.
- It is the student’s responsibility to have the required equipment – dependable Internet access, computer, webcam and microphone, agrees that attendance will be monitored and to to forward their Photo ID/ Driver’s License to the Chapter Office upon completing your online registration.
Save up to $25 – REGISTER BY OCTOBER 29
Appraisal Institute Designated Members, Candidates and Affiliates – $50
Standard / Non-AI Professionals – $65
Standard / Non-AI Professionals – $75